OverviewUniversity of Southern Queensland Research Fellow (Computational Astrophysics) Contract in Toowoomba QLD
University of Southern Queensland
Branch Toowoomba QLD AU
Research Fellow (Computational Astrophysics)
As a member of the Astrophysics Group, you will contribute to USQ astrophysics research, including developmental and operational roles for the MINERA-Australis…
Strategic Research Projects About us
The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) is a dynamic regional University committed to developing research solutions that deliver a global impact. With a vision to be a leading discovery partner in priority research areas, USQ aligns its research with regional and global agendas in agriculture and natural resource management, regional development, regional health and wellbeing, education and digital literacy.
Strategic Research Projects, through the Research and Innovation Division, contributes towards the University’s research performance and innovation in areas of strength and priority and builds relationships with industry and business through local, national and international research networks to leverage research outcomes and opportunities.
As a member of the Astrophysics Group, you will work collaboratively with highly skilled academic and professional research staff in developing USQ’s world-class research capability, delivering high quality, innovative and effective research outcomes in Astronomical and Space Sciences.
What you’ll do
As a member of the Astrophysics Group, you will contribute to USQ astrophysics research, including developmental and operational roles for the MINERA-Australis exoplanet facility at Mt Kent Observatory, BCool studies of stellar magnetic activity, and Astrophysics Group staff and student computational research. In doing so, you will:
- Play a key role in the provision of specialist Astrophysics research computing services and solutions including HPC astrophysics service development, support and training;
- Publish research findings in high quality, work-class refereed journals and present research outputs using national and international fora;
- Undertake leadership roles including project management, staff and student supervision, training and mentoring; and
- Generate, in collaboration with other team members and external research partners, novel research proposals for submission to external funding providers.
What will help you succeed?
Key to your success in this role will be your previous experience in stellar astronomy and planetary systems research. Additionally, you will have:
- A PhD, or advanced progress towards a PhD, in astronomy or astrophysics;
- Demonstrated experience in computational astrophysics including High Performance Computing and computer programming, and advanced expertise in computer data networking;
- Advanced scientific communication skills; and
- Demonstrated track record of research publications in astronomy or astrophysics in one or more international upper-quartile journals.
As a staff member of USQ, you will experience of range of rewarding career, financial and lifestyle benefits, including generous superannuation, professional development programs, discounted personal travel and health services and many work/life balance initiatives.
All while enjoying the relaxed lifestyle and family-friendly atmosphere afforded by living in Toowoomba. Situated on the edge of the picturesque Great Dividing Range, just one and a half hours west of Brisbane and only two hours from both the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, Toowoomba offers all the benefits of urban living without any of the big-city pressures. With a population of approximately 160,000 residents, Toowoomba has an enviable reputation for quality of lifestyle and world-class education. Escape the pressures of big city life while still pursuing your career goals and enjoy all that this thriving regional community has to offer.
Reference Number: 102946
Term: Full-time fixed term appointment for 3 years
Salary: Total remuneration range $104,992 to $124,098 pa (includes salary range of $88,716 to $104,860 pa, employer superannuation contributions of 17% of salary and annual leave loading)
Closes: Wednesday 26 April 2017
At USQ, we are united by our core values of Respect, Integrity and Excellence, which guide our daily actions and decision making.
If you think you can bring this role to life, we invite you to submit your resume/CV along with a two page statement outlining your motivation and suitability for the role. You can find out more about the role in the Position Description.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Toowoomba, QLD, AU
Posted on: 2017-04-15