OverviewThe Australian Himalayan Foundation Program Associate Contract in Sydney NSW
The Australian Himalayan Foundation
Branch Sydney NSW AU
Budget planning, analysis and monitoring of the program funds. We do this in two ways – raising funds to support education, health, environment and integrated…
AHF was established in 2002 with its mission to improve the quality of life of the people most in need in the remote areas of the Himalaya. Working with local partner NGOs and communities is integral to AHF’s development approach and its aim to help meet their priority needs through integrated improvements in education, health and the environment.
AHF was born from a foundational commitment to ‘giving back’ to the communities that have so generously welcomed Australian and international climbers and tourists to the Himalayan region. We do this in two ways – raising funds to support education, health, environment and integrated community development initiatives, and lending expertise in the form of support and capacity building of our local partners.
Key Responsibilities of the Role: This role has a two-fold responsibility. You will be responsible for managing AHF’s ‘building back Nepal better’ program which is mainly focused on the construction of damaged schools in rural Nepal, post 2015 earthquakes. You will also be responsible for strengthening monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of key AHF programs/projects.
Operations: General management of AHF’s ‘Build back Nepal better’ program which comprises two projects for the construction of damaged schools in rural Nepal. These projects have been underway since early 2016 and are implemented by AHF’s partner Nepalese NGO/agency. This includes:
- Monitoring and supporting the partner agency to deliver quality deliverables on time and within the agreed budgets.
- Budget planning, analysis and monitoring of the program funds.
- Coordinating and maintaining effective communications between pro-bono Australian architects and engineers with the partner agency to ensure quality design and constructions.
- Managing the Nepalese partner NGO to comply with AHF’s compliance and safeguard commitments.
- Maintaining strong communications with partner agencies, donor partners and technical pro bono experts for program delivery.
Strengthening Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of key programs and projects that are implemented by AHF’s partners in South Asia. AHF is currently reviewing and upgrading M&E of programs/projects. This is a task that will be shared with the Program Director. This includes:
- Support the Program Director in the review of AHF’s implementing partners’ M&E procedures and reporting to AHF.
- Develop and strengthen M&E frameworks of specified programs/projects with AHF’s partner agencies that will be built on a shared understanding of program logic.
- Improve data collection and reporting of specified programs/projects to AHF based on the improved M&E frameworks.
- Strong communication and mentoring of local partners to improve their M&E procedures and reporting to AHF.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 3 years experience working in project management in the development sector
- NGO project management experience in developing countries and/or with marginalised communities
- Budget planning, monitoring and analysis
- Knowledge and training in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of development aid projects
- Strong writing and documentation skills
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Strong proficiency with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and databases
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Initiative to bring together and lead teams, set up efficient communication flows and reporting, identify and bridge gaps and lead problem solving
- Management experience of rural construction projects for NGOs, particularly in developing countries
- NGO work experience in South, South East and East Asia
- Working with multicultural teams from developing countries
This is a part-time position, 2 days per week, with possible scope for additional hours as the role progresses. The contract will be for 9 months with possibility to extend. The position is based in Sydney, Australia and will involve one field trip to Nepal (Kathmandu and Solukhumbu district).
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
AHF is an equal opportunity employer. This position will be a new addition to our small, passionate team of people who are committed to making a difference in the world. We are looking for someone who can dream big and help us get what is needed most to those most in need.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Sydney, NSW, AU
Posted on: 2017-04-18