OverviewQueensland Government Technical Officer (Bananas) Full Time in Cairns QLD
Branch Cairns QLD AU
Technical Officer (Bananas)
Possession of a diploma in Science or Agricultural Science from a recognised tertiary institution, or equivalent academic qualifications….
Key duties and accountabilities
- Assist the Senior Research Technician and project leaders in conducting and completing banana research projects by applying relevant scientific methodology and technical practices.
- Be responsible for the conduct of specific aspects of banana research activities, both in the field and the laboratory, including all production practices from planting to harvesting including the application of soil and plant postharvest treatments.
- Use scientific equipment to measure production parameters associated with bananas.
- Collect record and collate field and laboratory data, and maintain data collection and management processes including entering acquired data into computer files.
- Assist in the preparation of project and experimental plans, reports for funding bodies, industry and DAF management, presentations, and articles for publication.
- Travel to research sites located on farms, orchards or regional research facilities to maintain trials, harvest trial fruit and collect required data.
- Communicate research results, both verbally and written to the project leader and other team members and communicate effectively with farmers when conducting trials on grower properties.
- Contribute to a strong banana research team by participating in team meetings and supporting other team members.
- Adhere to the Department’s Code of Conduct, including the principles and practices of employment equity, ethical conduct and workplace health and safety.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following key capabilities that link to the “key duties and accountabilities” for this role:
- Applies banana production functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform the job at a high level of accomplishment (Functional/Technical Skills)
- Utilises time efficiently by prioritising a broad range of tasks and focussing on key issues (Priority Setting)
- Pursues tasks and projects to completion with energy and drive (Perseverance)
- Works effectively in a team environment and exercises tact, diplomacy and discretion when required (Interpersonal Savvy)
- Analyses, interprets and solves difficult problems, engaging team and management input to provide accurate and timely solutions (Problem Solving).
Mandatory requirement/special conditions
- Possession of a diploma in Science or Agricultural Science from a recognised tertiary institution, or equivalent academic qualifications.
- A current “C” class drivers licence is a requirement for this role.
- This position will involve significant field work with bananas in a hot and wet environment and the application of chemicals and fertilisers as required by trial design.
Applications to remain current for 12 months. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Cairns, QLD, AU
Posted on: 2017-04-16