OverviewJustice Connect Justice Connect PLT Placement – Self Representation Service, Sydney Part Time in Sydney NSW
Branch Sydney NSW AU
Justice Connect PLT Placement – Self Representation Service, Sydney
Support the Service Manager, Lawyer and Paralegal; Our Sydney office is currently recruiting a PLT student to work with our Self Representation Service….
Our Sydney office is currently recruiting a PLT student to work with our Self Representation Service. As a PLT student with this service, you will develop practical and procedural legal experience and skills across various practice areas.
We have a place for a student to start in May 2017 working 3-4 days per week for a minimum of 60 days. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Self Representation Service is a service providing unrepresented litigants in the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court with discrete legal advice and assistance. The Self Representation Service empowers individuals experiencing disadvantage to pursue and enforce their rights and duties at court. It currently assists in bankruptcy, employment law, human rights/discrimination and judicial review matters. Further information is available at www.justiceconnect.org.au/selfrep .
Through the PLT placement, you will have the opportunity to:
- Take detailed instructions from enquirers over the phone and in person regarding legal matters;
- Assist staff in the Federal Court based office and take instructions from drop in enquiries
- Observe court proceedings of Self Representation Service clients
- Sit in, observe and take notes during client appointments;
- Undertake legal research relevant to client matters;
- Review and organise client documents;
- Contact clients to schedule and confirm appointments;
- Support the Service Manager, Lawyer and Paralegal; and
- Assist the Service to expand into new areas of law by developing precedents and legal information factsheets.
Applications will be assessed on relevant skills and experience as well as a demonstrated interest in and commitment to not-for-profit organisations and the community sector.
The Justice Connect Sydney office is located in the Sydney CBD. This is an unpaid position.
- Have completed or be close to completing College of Law, or its equivalent at a participating university;
- Ideally be able to work at least 3 days a week; and
- Undertake a minimum of 60 days of practical legal training at Justice Connect.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the positions will be open until filled.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are highly encouraged to apply.
For information on what to expect from your placement, please go to www.justiceconnect.org.au/getinvolved/practical-legal-training-placements .
To apply for the position please go to:
Complete the form on the ‘apply now’ page (including a CV and Cover Letter).
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Sydney, NSW, AU
Posted on: 2017-04-26