OverviewBendigo Sth East 7-10 Sec Coll Laboratory Technician Part Time in Bendigo VIC
Bendigo Sth East 7-10 Sec Coll
Branch Bendigo VIC AU
Care for flora and fauna within the science area, in accordance with current regulations. Bendigo South East College is a 7-10 secondary school in regional…
College Profile Bendigo South East College is a 7-10 secondary school in regional Victoria.
The College is accredited with the Council of International Schools – a network of public and private schools throughout the world that have met a rigorous, comprehensive set of international standards.
The College encourages the pursuit of excellence by all members of our learning community. A comprehensive, personalized curriculum is offered to all students based on the F-10 Framework. Students at Years 8, 9 and 10 have some choice in their subject selections, including, at Year 10, VCE and VET subjects, and specialisms in sports (ADP) and the arts (ACA).
The College’s student support structure consists of Learning Community Leaders working in neighbourhoods with House Learning Coaches, the Student Support Centre Facilitator and the Principal team. In addition to the Curriculum Facilitator, Timetabler, Daily Organiser and Learning Area Leaders, the College has staff responsible for a Learning Centre (The INN), Special Learning Programs, Information Technology and Pathways advice.
The College has an outstanding record of success in extension activities including Mathematics, and Science and Languages competitions, up to national level. The College actively encourages students to participate in sporting teams, the performing arts and leadership opportunities.
A well qualified, experienced and dedicated staff, are constantly involved in professional development to improve teaching and learning. Staff seek to role model lifelong learning as part of the College learning community. The staff are committed to every student succeeding.
A representative College Council works through a collaborative committee system to set the policies and priorities of the College. The cooperative and positive involvement of the staff members, parents and students in this process is an important feature of our community.
The College has a very active Student Voice Program, led by the Student Representative Council. They play a key role in all areas of the program.
As part of the Bendigo Education Plan, the College has been rebuilt. It has open classrooms with modern facilities for science, computer studies, technology, music and photography. Facilities for recreation and physical education are provided by a three court indoor stadium, well developed grounds and the regular use of nearby community venues.
The College is one of a cluster of similar schools in the Bendigo area. This collegiate co-operates to provide shared programs and activities such as: instrumental music, combined college bands, regional sports, pre-driver education, student support services, library resourcing and professional development. The College works closely with its associate primary schools to achieve a smooth transition from Year 6 to Year 7, and with Bendigo Senior Secondary College, for students making the transition from Year 10 to Year 11.
A wide range of co-curricula learning opportunities including camps at all year levels. A Work Experience program for Year 10’s is also conducted throughout the year.
Bendigo South East College is proud of the achievements of its students and looks forward to further enhancing opportunities for them.
The Bendigo South East College website is www.bse.vic.edu.au
1. Knowledge of and experience as a Lab Technician.
2. A record of honesty, integrity and reliability.
3. Very good organisational and management skills.
4. Knowledge of computer applications.
5. Proven ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals including teachers and students.
6. Ability to operate as part of a team.
[Attendance requirement for this position]
Undertakes routine tasks that are usually carried out under close supervision and direction. Work that carries some degree of independence will generally involve a limited number of tasks performed on a regular basis where priorities are clear, procedures are well established and direction is readily available.
Work has little scope for deviation. Problems can usually be solved by reference to well documented procedures and instructions and clearly established practices. Deviation from established procedures will require reference to others for guidance and direction. Assistance is readily available when problems arise. An experienced employee at range 1 will exercise limited judgement within clearly defined guidelines and well established practices that relate specifically to the tasks performed.
Does not carry responsibility for the work of others. More experienced employees will provide basic guidance and advice to others relating to tasks within the work area.
An education support class position supports the educational services being provided to students, but must not include duties of teaching as defined in clause 2.6.1 of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) or its successor. Supervision of students cannot be required except where it is an integral part of the employee’s position or involves supervision of students individually or in small groups, in controlled circumstances, where the responsibility for students remains clearly with a teacher.
Qualification requirements do not operate at range 1. Certification requirements may be required to legally perform specific tasks – e.g. driver’s licence, first aid, safe food handling.
* Responsible for the efficient operation of the Science Laboratory areas.
* Maintain accurate financial systems.
* Advise and assist teachers with practical work info, equipment and demonstrations.
* Ensure compliance with appropriate licences/permits for the use of plants/animals/chemicals etc in the Science laboratory.
* Prepare and maintain chemicals and equipment in all science areas.
* Coordinate the use of all science materials around the school.
* Service and clean laboratory apparatus and equipment.
* Maintain science asset register.
* Care for flora and fauna within the science area, in accordance with current regulations.
* Undertake the annual stocktake of chemicals and equipment and order resources as required.
* Regularly pick up consumables, scientific materials and field samples.
* SDS’s and RA’s for chemicals and pracs updated annually.
* Maintain and clean science classrooms and laboratories.
* Create new RA for new pracs.
* Liaise with regional technicians and scientific specialists.
* Complete other duties as directed by the Principal.
Who May Apply
Individuals with the aptitude, experience and/or qualifications to fulfill the specific requirements of the position.
EEO AND OHS Commitment
The Department values diversity and is committed to workforce diversity and equal opportunity in schools and all education workplaces. The Department recognises that the provision of family friendly, supportive, safe and harassment free workplaces is essential to high performance and promotes flexible work, diversity and safety across all schools and Department workplaces.
Child Safe Standards
Victorian government schools are child safe environments. Our schools actively promote the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm in the school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. All schools have a Child Safety Code of Conduct consistent with the Department’s exemplar available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/protect/Pages/childsafestandards.aspx
– All staff employed by the Department and schools have access to a broad range of employment conditions and working arrangements.
– Appointment of successful applicants will be made subject to a satisfactory pre-employment conditions check.
– A probationary period may apply during the first year of employment and induction and support programs provided.
– Detailed information on all terms and conditions of employment is available on the Department’s Human Resources website at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Pages/default.aspx
Conditions of Employment
No job description available
No job description available
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Bendigo, VIC, AU
Posted on: 2017-04-24